This content may be triggering for some individuals – please contact a mental health professional or SADAG (S A Depression And Anxiety Group helpline) on 0800 567 567 for assistance if needed.
Our current context:
War in Ukraine, the post lockdown (for now) mental health scenario; the Covid-19 remote learning fiasco, and economic and social hardship.
Current Statistics: South Africa and global
- Conceptual, theoretical and intervention input on suicide in adolescents.
- Myths, stigma and stereotypes associated with suicide.
- The most current research findings on adolescent suicide.
- The psychology and psychiatry of suicidal ideation and suicidal behaviour.
- The psychiatric and psychological co-morbidities that increase the risk of suicide, and the treatment thereof.
- DSM 5 Suicidal Behavioural Disorder
- Emotional and behavioural dysregulation and strategies for intervention.
- The social, interpersonal and family context of adolescent suicide.
- A framework of understanding comprising risk indicators, risk assessment and intervention for mental-health and allied professionals
- Immediate responses needed for an adolescent who is suicidal or has attempted suicide.
- Additional areas of focus:
- Guidelines for schools and therapists, and resources for adolescents and professionals.
- Clinical case examples will be presented.